Skip links

How to pursue an English Certificates?

When you are applying for a study programme or want to live and work in an English-speaking country, an English certificate will be very useful.

English certificate: basic information about the English-language certificate

The most often required English certificate include: the Cambridge suite (Preliminary English Test (PET)First Certificate in English(FCE), Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)), and The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). It is recommended to have a 12- week preparation course for each of these exams. You can prepare for taking your English certificate by attending an English language school where you will be taught in English, so you will have the chance to improve your English skills. When you decide to take an exam, you can ask the language school to help you apply for it or you can do it online yourself. All exams can be either paper-based or computer-based.

Preliminary English Test (PET) is to prove that your English level is intermediate (B1),

First Certificate in English (FCE) shows that your English level is upper-intermediate (B2), and Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is for those who want a proof that their English is at Advanced level (C1).

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is one of the most popular English language tests and it is mostly required for those who want to study at university in the UK.

How does the exam process work?

  • Look online for the exam you are interested in and when you find it select your preferred location/close test centre and date. You can also ask the language school to help you with this.
  • Enter your personal details to register for the exam you have chosen.
  • Pay for your exam.
  • After registration, you will receive an email from the examination/test centre giving you the necessary information
  • Take the exam/test

For the Cambridge FCE and CAE, Reading, Writing, Use of English and Listening are tested the same day whereas Speaking is tested on a different day. For the Cambridge PET and IELTS, Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking are tested on the same day.

The Certificate can be sent to your home, language school or any other institution. You can choose where to be sent on the day of your exam/test.

At Eynsford College, we will help you prepare for all the exams mentioned above and also register for an exam/test.

Leave a comment